tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Costin Manolache" <cos...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Osgifing Tomcat
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2008 13:56:26 GMT
On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 4:35 AM, Remy Maucherat <remm@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 12:45 +0200, Henri Gomez wrote:
>  > Hi to all,
>  >
>  > Did there is plans, ideas or interest around about OSGI-fing Tomcat ?
>
>  The only thing which ever attracts you is pointless hype, it's quite
>  funny ;)

I share your concern about OSGI and hype :-)

I spent few years working on a project using OSGI heavily, with people
buying the hype. It was a big disaster, most time was spent
reinventing the wheels and turning perfectly simple code to services,
registering the services in a bundle and importing it in another, then
figuring out why it's slow to start up or start order problems or
manifests.

On the other side - OSGI has a good class loader implementation,
probably the best ( JBoss has a good one too - using a similar
delegation mechanism ).

As long as you stick to using the class loader - i.e. have manifests
with imports/exports and the boilerplate - OSGI can be a benefit.
Since IMO the main problem in tomcat is lack of modularity - it
wouldn't be bad to give it a try.

Costin