tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Henri Gomez" <henri.go...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Osgifing Tomcat
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2008 19:09:54 GMT
2008/4/22, Costin Manolache <costin@gmail.com>:
> I think OSGI has some good ideas - it is pretty good at handling class
>  loaders and loading/unloading modules. On the other side, they are
>  very 'framework'  - and like all other frameworks you have to do all
>  things their way and they re-invent a lot of wheels ( from logging
>  APIs to almost everything else ). If we could stick to the core - i.e.
>  module loading/unloading - it wouldn't be bad.
>
>  I did a quick search for OSGI implementations with apache license -
>  and it looks there is even an apache project, felix...

Yep, I allready take look at felix and it's fine.

I think OSGIfing Tomcat is a good idea, as today a servlet engine is
only piece of code in IT architectures.

With more and more OSGI plugins in enterprises, we should have an OSGi
plugable tomcat or we'll see in a very near future others players do
servlet services in OSGI land.