tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Mavenizing Tomcat : Was: Osgifing Tomcat
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2008 22:55:23 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 11:31 AM, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <
> devlists@hanik.com> wrote:
>

>> Costin Manolache wrote:
>>

>>> We already have eclipse files checked in AFAIK - that counts as the
>>> second
>>> build system.
>>> We used to have makefiles too, also in parallel with  ant (in 3.0
>>> times).
>>>
>>> The goal IMO is that people who like to type mvn can do it - without any
>>> guarantee that
>>> the result will be identical with the official release or will be
>>> maintained
>>> long term, just like
>>>

>> isn't that the culprit, including a feature under the pretenses that it
>> wont be maintained?
>>

> I meant 'maintained' in the apache-sense, of having 3 +1, etc. ( which AFAIK
> is required  for
> something to be 'officially' released ).
>
> I'm sure Henri will maintain it  - and at some point it may even have the 3
> +1s. As long as there is
> no technical reason for a veto ( besides the 'don't break existing build' -
> which I think he addressed ),
> I don't see how to stop him.  I don't like Maven  -  but  I think  as long
> as it  doesn't break anything
> Henri is perfectly entitled to work on this.

absolutely correct, and it should follow the guidelines of voting just
like everything else
1+ means I support and intend to help
if you just support it, but are not planning on doing the work, then the
vote is +0 :)

Henri is more than welcome to make the proposal, no one is stopping him
from doing so.

Filip