tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question about Tomcat memory leaks
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2008 12:24:46 GMT
Guenter Knauf wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've a prob with a Tomcat application.
> This is an app which was bought by a customer which I work for.
> The app runs on a plain WinXP box with nothing else installed on it but only the Tomcat
servive + MySQL server. The app is used through the standalone http connector; Tomcat version
is 5.5.25.
> Now since few days the box tends to crash with all memory exhausted...
> I cant tell at the moment if any component of the involved software packages was updated
recently.
> Now my question is: can someone give me some hints how I can observe the memory consumption
of Tomcat to see if there might be a leak either in Tomcat self (saw some BZ, and ChangeLog
entries that something was fixed with 5.5.26), or also with their app?

> thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Use a profiler. My personal favourite is YourKit but there are plenty of
others.

The only memory leaks we tend to see in Tomcat, and they are getting rarer,
are related to reloading. If you are not reloading the webapp it is almost
certainly an app problem rather than a Tomcat one. Either way, the only way
to be sure is to use a profiler.

Mark