tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Christophe Pierret" <>
Subject RE: Question about Tomcat memory leaks
Date Sat, 12 Apr 2008 07:27:10 GMT
Hi Guenter,
You could have a look at:
But since you describe "server" memory exhaustion, you should use Windows perfmon tool to
log process memory (see  HOW TO: Create and Configure Performance Monitor Trace Logs,
) and determine which process is leaking.  If this is tomcat, then start by reducing -Xmx
option to a level that the server can handle (and not crash).
And finally, use the very good suggestions of others to use a java memory profiler.

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Guenter Knauf []
Envoyé : vendredi 11 avril 2008 14:18
À :
Objet : Question about Tomcat memory leaks

Hi all,
I've a prob with a Tomcat application.
This is an app which was bought by a customer which I work for.
The app runs on a plain WinXP box with nothing else installed on it but only the Tomcat servive
+ MySQL server. The app is used through the standalone http connector; Tomcat version is 5.5.25.
Now since few days the box tends to crash with all memory exhausted...
I cant tell at the moment if any component of the involved software packages was updated recently.
Now my question is: can someone give me some hints how I can observe the memory consumption
of Tomcat to see if there might be a leak either in Tomcat self (saw some BZ, and ChangeLog
entries that something was fixed with 5.5.26), or also with their app?

thanks in advance for any suggestions!

greets, Guen.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: