tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Christophe Pierret" <cpier...@sparus-software.com>
Subject RE: Question about Tomcat memory leaks
Date Sat, 12 Apr 2008 07:27:10 GMT
Hi Guenter,
You could have a look at:
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Memory
But since you describe "server" memory exhaustion, you should use Windows perfmon tool to
log process memory (see  HOW TO: Create and Configure Performance Monitor Trace Logs, http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302552
) and determine which process is leaking.  If this is tomcat, then start by reducing -Xmx
option to a level that the server can handle (and not crash).
And finally, use the very good suggestions of others to use a java memory profiler.

Regards,
Christophe

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Guenter Knauf [mailto:fuankg@apache.org]
Envoyé : vendredi 11 avril 2008 14:18
À : dev@tomcat.apache.org
Objet : Question about Tomcat memory leaks

Hi all,
I've a prob with a Tomcat application.
This is an app which was bought by a customer which I work for.
The app runs on a plain WinXP box with nothing else installed on it but only the Tomcat servive
+ MySQL server. The app is used through the standalone http connector; Tomcat version is 5.5.25.
Now since few days the box tends to crash with all memory exhausted...
I cant tell at the moment if any component of the involved software packages was updated recently.
Now my question is: can someone give me some hints how I can observe the memory consumption
of Tomcat to see if there might be a leak either in Tomcat self (saw some BZ, and ChangeLog
entries that something was fixed with 5.5.26), or also with their app?

thanks in advance for any suggestions!

greets, Guen.