tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Mavenizing Tomcat : Was: Osgifing Tomcat
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2008 09:23:31 GMT
On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 22:28 -0400, Yoav Shapira wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:09 PM, Remy Maucherat <remm@apache.org> wrote:
> >  The current build scripts are fully tested and work well. Adding
> >  additional methods of building or replacing these scripts altogether
> >  would only provide ways to create and/or release broken binaries.
>
> Again, no one is saying anything about touching the current build
> scripts, build process, release process, or source structure.  All
> those remain the same.  The job of the release manager remains the
> same.
>
> This is just an alternative for those people who want to use a
> slightly easier / user-friendlier build system.  We could do worse
> than lowering the barrier to entry for new contributors.

You mean you type "mvn" instead of "ant" ? I agree te keys are closer
together on my keyboard, so it could indeed be easier. Personally, I did
have a first hand experience with Maven, and I think it's horrible (you
have no clue what it is doing, error reporting is bad, and basically,
you have to think and act the tool's way).

I disagree with having two separate build systems, there's no guarantee
of equivalence.

Rémy