tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: Osgifing Tomcat
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2008 17:51:31 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Henri Gomez" <henri.gomez@gmail.com>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <dev@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 2:24 PM
Subject: Re: Osgifing Tomcat

>>    Yes, the modular aspect is for sure a better choice. So we can have a
>> smaller Tomcat (by only using few bundles) or bundles loaded on demand.
>
> +1
>
> And select which part of the engine to be used.

I dont know about the whole OSGI thing, to be honest I fall asleep just
after the introduction to the thing ;) and ok a cell phone wants it so it
can do a form of plug and play, but then I cant see microsoft adding that to
their service manager, so for me its neither here nor there.

In my pragmatic user view, what I think would be nice is a "brainless"
interface to embedded.
So something like this... tomcat user uses full tomcat, gets all the XML
configured, webapps tested and running.... and then "presses a button" so to
speak, and that creates a little embedded source code example, the xml is
translated into a property file, the webapps placed in a "loadme folder", if
clustering is not needed, those libs fall out, and TC's remnants are stuck
in a lib folder... ie the user just needs to compile the template for their
first embedded app.

Something like that I think would be good for TC, and I think it would
result in a more modular tomcat.
>From "that" embedded program, the "user" has the choice of OSGIenabling, or
not, OSGI may even be an add on at that level. So you morphing TC not
bulking it, kind of idea.

If TC did have a "push my button to embed me" kind of utility... I think,
big sales.
A kind of "use the big tomcat"... "and we'll make the little one for you"...
thing.
I mention it because TC is definitely losing "sales" on embedded... the user
actually assumes it works a little like the "press my button" analogy... and
its nothing like it... lost sale.

I think TC's popularity comes from being fairly easy to use, and its out of
the box up and running... good theme to follow... maybe ;)