tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From George Sexton <gsex...@mhsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Reorder the http header generated by tomcat
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2008 22:17:38 GMT
Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
> George Sexton wrote:
>> I agree. I just said that if HIS app requires a specific order, HE
>> should write code to do it.
> that wont help you IF there is a proxy between server and user agent
> that reorders it.
> the user-agent is what needs to be fixed
>
> Filip

I was working on the assumption that he's writing his own user agent and
for whatever reason it simplifies his code if the headers are in a
specific order.

As I wrote in my original message, sometimes if you can get things in a
specific order it makes things easier. The example I gave was an iCal
parser. It turns out to be 10 times easier to write an iCal parser if
you can get the fields in a specific order. I.E. have the DTSTART come
before the RRULE every time. So, my iCal parser has a sort routine that
puts the various parts of an iCal entry in a specific order BEFORE I try
to use them. So, there are valid cases where when parsing data (e.g.
header data) getting things in a specific order is desirable.

I wholly agree that anyone that expects headers coming from a server to
be in a specific order needs their head examined.

--
George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.