tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fix #43236
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2008 00:02:48 GMT
Jess Holle wrote:
> On the other hand, the servlet spec seems to state fairly unequivocally
> that (1) and (2) should result in IllegalStateExceptions and in (3) the
> setCharacterEncoding() call should be silently ignored.
>
> I'm not arguing for the fix to be rolled back, but I am trying to get
> some insight as to whether I'm the only one that reads the spec this way.

I don't see it as quite so black and white - I wish it were.

There was a brief discussion on the dev list
http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-dev&m=117280911532391&w=2

My own view is that this needs some clarification from the expert group to
resolve the inconsistency.

The best argument for this change, in my view, is the error page one. If
you use anything other than ISO-8859-1 everywhere you are pretty much
stuffed when it comes to displaying your error pages. That just didn't seem
right to me.

Mark