tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Tomcat Wiki] Update of "FAQ/CharacterEncoding" by markt
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2008 18:14:19 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by markt:
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/CharacterEncoding

The comment on the change is:
More Q lists

  = Character Encoding Issues =

  == Questions ==
+  1. [#Q1 What is the default character encoding?]
+  1. [#Q2 How do I change how GET parameters are interpreted?]
+  1. [#Q3 How do I change how POST parameters are interpreted?]
+  1. [#Q4 How can I test if my configuration will work correctly?]
+  1. [#Q5 I'm having a problem with character encoding in Tomcat 5]

+ == Answers ==
- '''What is the default character encoding?'''
+ [[Anchor(Q1)]]'''What is the default character encoding?'''

  If a character encoding is not specified, the Servlet specification requires that an encoding
of ISO 8859-1 is used.

- '''How do I change how GET parameters are interpreted?'''
+ [[Anchor(Q2)]]'''How do I change how GET parameters are interpreted?'''

  Set the URIEncoding parameter on the Connector element in server.xml.

- '''How do I change how POST parameters are interpreted?'''
+ [[Anchor(Q3)]]'''How do I change how POST parameters are interpreted?'''

  POST requests should specify the encoding of the parameters and values they send. Since
many clients fail to set an explicit encoding, the default is used (ISO 8859-1). In many cases
this is not the preferred interpretation so one can employ a javax.servlet.Filter to set request
encodings. Writing such a filter is trivial. Furthermore Tomcat already comes with such an
example filter. Please take a look at:
   4.x::
@@ -29, +35 @@

  webapps/examples/WEB-INF/classes/filters/SetCharacterEncodingFilter.java
  }}}

- '''How can I test if my configuration will work correctly?'''
+ [[Anchor(Q4)]]'''How can I test if my configuration will work correctly?'''

  The following sample JSP should work on a clean Tomcat install for any input. If you set
the URIEncoding="UTF-8" on the connector, it will also work with method="GET".
  {{{
@@ -56, +62 @@

  }}}

- '''I'm having a problem with character encoding in tomcat 5'''
+ [[Anchor(Q5)]]'''I'm having a problem with character encoding in Tomcat 5'''

  In Tomcat 5 - there have been issues reported with respect to character encoding (usually
of the the form "request.setCharacterEncoding(String) doesn't work"). Odds are, its not a
bug. Before filing a bug report, see these bug reports as well as any bug reports linked to
these bug reports: