tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Jason Brittain" <jason.britt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 6.0.16 RPM Package Available
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2008 18:10:18 GMT
People may easily change that if they'd like.  But, it was a
repeatedly requested
change -- too many users were complaining that they weren't able to install
other Tomcat RPMs because of dependencies they couldn't meet, and they
wished they had a package that didn't have that "problem".  They already had
Java installed, and it wasn't necessarily installed as an RPM package, and it
wasn't necessarily Sun's Java.  They just wanted to set JAVA_HOME and be
done with that.  You would be surprised how many users were asking for it to
be this way.  Also, it would be easy to customize the spec file of this package
and rebuild it to depend on the Java one wants it to depend on.  It would be
a 1 line change to the RPM spec file.

--
Jason

On Feb 7, 2008 9:58 AM, Remy Maucherat <remm@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 07:42 -0800, Jason Brittain wrote:
> > - Zero RPM package dependencies on any other RPM packages, for ease
> >   of installation as a single file (other than Java itself, which you
> > already have).
>
> Hum, that last feature doesn't look so good to me :(
>
> Rémy

Jason Brittain