tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Costin Manolache" <cos...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: tomcat native documentation
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2008 00:33:27 GMT
Yes, JVM is not so good because it changes, I agree /usr/local/lib ( and the
JVM dir ) are only good for people with root access.

What about having 2 options:
- 'system' installation - /usr/local/lib
- 'local' - TOMCAT_HOME/lib/native ( or TOMCAT_HOME/lib/`arch` if same
install is shared on multiple machine types )

We can include both in catalina.sh ( is /usr/lib, /usr/local/lib enabled by
default for finding .so ?), so user can save one step and
we can have more consistent instructions. Also a binary package that install
on top of TOMCAT_HOME would be easier.

The fewer steps and variations - the easier will it be to build and support.

Costin