tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <>
Subject [PROPOSAL / POLL] Issue a de-support notice for Tomcat 4
Date Fri, 15 Feb 2008 00:12:59 GMT

Tomcat 4 has been in maintenance mode for some time now with nearly all
changes either updating libraries or fixing security bugs. I am happy to
continue acting as release manager for as long as there are three +1s when
there is a release.

However, there will come a time when it makes sense to cease supporting
Tomcat 4.1.x. Rather than just announce it, as we did for 5.0.x, I think we
should try and give our users some notice to encourage them to move off
4.1.x and to give them time to plan the move.

Therefore, my proposal is that we issue a de-support notice for Tomcat 4.

The poll is what date we announce for the end of Tomcat 4 support. Around
12 months notice seems reasonable to me so I am going to suggest 30 June
2009. Do people think this is enough notice? Alternative suggestions welcome.

The web pages would also need the appropriate updates.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message