tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Embedding question
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2008 21:26:52 GMT
I'd like to embed Tomcat in an application for which there will be
numerous instances running.

As such I have 2 basic problems:

   1. *catalina.base:* I really want to share /all/ configuration files,
      web-app context XMLs, etc -- using separate directories only for
      temp, work, and logs.  In an ideal world precompiled JSPs would be
      shared from one work directory (e.g. CATALINA_HOME/work) to the
      various instances and the instances would only write their own
      compilations, sessions, etc, to their own separate directories.
      Is this possible?  Can anyone give me pointers in the sources?
   2. *port negotiation:* I need to find an available port -- both for
      shutdown and for the AJP connector.  I tried using the JMX MBean
      factory, etc, but got no signal when the port was already in use.
      Pointers to APIs to use that /will/ provide such signals
      (exceptions, return values, whatever) would be appreciated.

Overall I'd like to keep this close to an out-of-the-box usage of
6.0.16, except with port negotiation handled outside server.xml, of
course -- and writable directories outside CATALINA_HOME.

Overall pointers (documentation?) would be appreciated.

--
Jess Holle

P.S. I've gotten this working by producing catalina.base directories
containing way more of catalina.home's contents than I can see any
reason for and pre-computing ports to use into each catalina.base, but
this seems wrong overall.  I'm looking for something better.