tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <>
Subject Re: Tomcat 6.0.16 Startup Listener
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2008 21:40:51 GMT
Jess Holle wrote:
> Stusynski, Dan wrote:
>> Tomcat devs,
>> Noticed a curiousity during 6.0.16 startup after migrating from 6.0.14.
>> Below is the startup logs for Tomcat 6.0.16 and am curious if this has
>> been seen before (the duplicate Listeners)? This was not encountered in
>> 6.0.14.
>> Not only do we get these duplicate Listener messages for anything
>> defined in web.xml but we also get it for anything we might define
>> additionaly for our softwares Listeners.
> In other words, we also get such duplicate listener messages any/all
> <listener>'s in our web app's web.xml as well.  [Our web.xml is a
> perfectly valid 2.4 web.xml that worked fine with 6.0.14.]
> These info messages were certainly not present in 6.0.14 and even if
> they're bogus raise concerns and questions in 6.0.16.

They are a result of the fix for

It means that for some reason, Tomcat is trying to register the listener
more than once and subsequent attempts are ignored. This has been the case
for all of the 6.0.x series but now it is logged when it happens.

Looking back at the original issue it is probably
occurring because the TLD is being processed twice.

If this is generating a lot of noise then we probably need to look at an
alternative solution but one that addresses the noise and 44268 doesn't
immediately jump out at me.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message