tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cookies are broken in 6.0.16?
Date Sun, 10 Feb 2008 11:39:15 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
>>> any of those. other than that, I'm not sure how to behave
>>>
>>> I think this is the best case scenario for v0 cookies. Perhaps, if
>>> you really want to get fancy, you can add a flag to let legacy
>>> solutions roll back to the old/non-standard cookie handling methodology?
>> no, we wont do that. we fixed the cookie behavior in this release due
>> to security issues filed against the old parsing.
>
> The security issue only exists because of a fundamentally broken servlet
> in the examples, and assumes the user will click on a URL. That's not
> what I call a security problem.

The root cause of the issue wasn't the servlet in the examples. If it were,
that servlet would have been fixed.

The issue was a number of bugs/inconsistencies in the handling of cookie
headers, particularly around quoting and unquoting which enabled XSS
attacks in some instances. That said the issues were all hard to exploit
and required the application to use user provided data directly as the
cookie value. This was why these issues were rated as low severity.

An enhancement request to log when Tomcat ignores/truncates a value or
identifies some other issue when parsing cookies seems reasonable to me.

Mark