tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Haroon Rafique <haroon.rafi...@utoronto.ca>
Subject slight gotcha with tomcat 6.0 cluster startup with already running tomcat 5 cluster on the network
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2008 20:33:24 GMT
Hi there,

I ran into something today which might help someone out later so I'm
posting this here. On my network, I didn't know that I had an old install
of tomcat 5.5.23 running with <Cluster> config enabled. I installed tomcat
6.0.14 on a new machine with <Cluster> config enabled (simple 1-liner in
6.0.x). Upon startup of the 6.0.14 tomcat I got a less than helpful error
regarding the cluster.

Here's the relevant log entries:

Jan 31, 2008 2:53:13 PM org.apache.catalina.ha.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster start
INFO: Cluster is about to start
Jan 31, 2008 2:53:13 PM org.apache.catalina.tribes.transport.ReceiverBase
bind
INFO: Receiver Server Socket bound to:/my.ip.address.here:4000
Jan 31, 2008 2:53:13 PM
org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.McastServiceImpl setupSocket
INFO: Setting cluster mcast soTimeout to 500
Jan 31, 2008 2:53:13 PM
org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.McastServiceImpl waitForMembers
INFO: Sleeping for 1000 milliseconds to establish cluster membership,
start level:4

So, far so good. Then came this bit:

Jan 31, 2008 2:53:13 PM
org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.McastServiceImpl$ReceiverThread run
WARNING: Error receiving mcast package. Sleeping 500ms
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid package, should start
with:{84, 82, 73, 66, 69, 83, 45, 66}
         at
org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.MemberImpl.getMember(MemberImpl.java:317)
         at
org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.MemberImpl.getMember(MemberImpl.java:293)
         at
org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.MemberImpl.getMember(MemberImpl.java:398)
         at
org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.McastServiceImpl.receive(McastServiceImpl.java:284)
         at
org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.McastServiceImpl$ReceiverThread.run(McastServiceImpl.java:366)

which didn't tell me whole lot. This exception was repeated at a frequency
of almost 1 per second. To resolve this, it took me a few hours or so to
figure out that the old tomcat 5.5 was still running with <Cluster>
enabled which was the cause of this.

Could something be done to catch this situation and display a more helpful
message?

Thanks,
--
Haroon Rafique