tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Tomcat native 1.1.12
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2008 00:01:55 GMT
Mladen Turk wrote:
> Did you read what I said? There is no such thing
> as *tomcat-native release*, period, so
> there is no thing we can vote for.

If we make a src tarball available for download, then it is a release. It
doesn't matter that it is useless on it's own nor that similar
functionality is included in part of a larger package elsewhere.

We have been making the src available for download since the first version,
so why not continue to do so but do so within the ASF rules and have a
release vote? The overhead of a vote is pretty small and it isn't like it
is going to be struggling for +1s.

> There is no Tomcat NIO, HTTP or AJP connector release as well.
> The only small difference is that the first one is
> written in C, while rest are written in Java.
> This is one and only difference.

There are other differences, the key one being that we make it available
for separate download.

>>> There is no such thing as tomcat-native product that
>>> we can vote for.
>>
>> What are all these then?
>> http://tomcat.heanet.ie/native/
>>

> Ask the US government and their crypto law :)

I thought it was a licensing issue on one of the required libraries but
that doesn't really matter here. The point is it looks like a release, it
gets tagged like a release, it gets distributed like a release, why not
just do a release?

Mark