tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Native 1.1.12 release
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2008 23:47:43 GMT
Mladen Turk wrote:
> It would mean that you will need *nix for building
> the Tomcat release, but that's fine with me.
>
> If the Tomcat RM's are fine with that, it's a very
> simple task.

That means we require the release to be built on Windows so we can built
the installer and on *nix for native. Essentially we need would need to
build every distribution on two platforms. Whilst it is manageable, that
strikes me significantly increasing the risk of their being subtle
differences between the Windows and Linux distributions.

I still don't see why we can't just do a native release in the same way we
do a mod_jk release. That wouldn't stop us bundling a particular native
release with a Tomcat release and it allows users to easily update the
native library if there are any serious bugs. It would mean there is a
greater requirement to keep the interface stable but I don't see that as a
major issue.

Mark