tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release build 6.0.15
Date Sat, 10 Nov 2007 00:45:19 GMT

On Nov 9, 2007, at 2:23 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:

> Remy Maucherat wrote:

>>> Just checking through the release, we still have a licensing
>>> issue so
>>> don't believe we can proceed with the tag as is. See
>>> http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-dev&m=119170137616267&w=2 for details.
>>>
>>> Remy - you commmitted the files originally so you are the only
>>> one who
>>> can
>>> answer the question about their provenance. If the source was such
>>> that the
>>> Sun license can be removed, great. If not, we can use the CDDL
>>> ones. I
>>> am
>>> happy to make the changes myself but I need to know which way to go.
>>
>> These sources can be found in the specification documents.
> That doesn't mean we can just copy them.
>
>> Geronimo
>> should also have the same files somewhere.
>
> I believe they use the CDDL ones but I'll check. I'll prepare a
> patch for
> 6.0.16 that uses whatever they use.

Geronimo has gone to a lot of trouble and subjected our users to
noticeable inconvenience to NOT ship any of the sun licensed xsds.
We have not found any authority or reasoning that would let us do
so.  I believe the apache policy now allows us to put small numbers
of CDDL schemas in apache svn and ship them but AFAIK we have not yet
done so.

thanks
david jencks