tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen Wick" <>
Subject Are Sticky Sessions really necessary?
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2007 21:04:42 GMT
The Tomcat 5.5 "Clustering/Session Replication Guide" says, "Make sure
that your loadbalancer is configured for sticky session mode."  However,
I don't see the term "Sticky" sessions anywhere in the Servlet 2.3 or
2.4 specifications.
Are sticky sessions really required for clustering to function properly
in Tomcat 5.5?  I thought that session replication would eliminate any
need to direct a client session to one node in a cluster.
If not, can we adjust the documentation to indicate that Sticky sessions
are optional, for the appropriate reason (I'm guessing the advent of
session replication in tomcat.)
I am asking this question because I am having trouble with Sticky
sessions in my load balancer, and I need to know whether or not I should
pursue fixing this feature.  If tomcat doesn't really require sticky
sessions, then I can leave my load balancer alone.  If tomcat does need
the feature to function properly, then I need to go to some additional
expense to resolve the issue with my load balancing appliance.
Thank you for your time and expertise.
Stephen Wick
Interactive Developer
Nicholson Kovac, Inc.