tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Preston L. Bannister" <pres...@bannister.us>
Subject Re: New Tomcat release? Out of the box bundle with Harmony?
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2007 22:03:59 GMT
On Nov 8, 2007 12:59 PM, Henri Gomez <henri.gomez@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2007/11/8, Preston L. Bannister <preston@bannister.us>:
> > Yes, any such bundle should be under Harmony, not Tomcat.
>
> Why not Tomcat ?

If you are looking at Harmony, you are (or should be) expecting something
experimental.

> Speaking as an application developer, the (outside?) chance that a
> customer
> > could go to download Tomcat, and end up with Harmony - this does not
> make me
> > happy.  At least until I have a *lot* more confidence in Harmony.
>  Tomcat is
> > expected to be mature and reliable.
>
> If you're confident in Tomcat ,so a 'bundled' Harmoy/Tomcat will help
> Harmony team fix failures in the Java Runtime you could detect.

Sadly, I have no interest in testing Harmony.  Thanks for the offer, but my
plate is already far too full.  Nor am I interested in my customers testing
Harmony, for pretty much the same reason.

Pragmatically, as a web application developer, the Sun JVM is free for my
customers, which eliminates any interest (aside from theoretical) in
non-Sun, maybe-sorta-kinda-mostly working, and non-performant JVMs.  Sun is
doing a good job, looks to continue to do so, and seems generally to have a
clue about not screwing customers.  Good enough.

Flip this around - who *does* have a pragmatic interest in testing and
development of an open-source JVM?  That should suggest a venue.