tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Time to organise svn - Take 3
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2007 20:05:54 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> jean-frederic clere wrote:

>>> As per the previously published plan, I will create
>>> tomcat/tc6.1.x/trunk
>>> and tomcat/trunk from the 6.0.15 tag. I plan to do this sometime on
>>> Friday
>>> afternoon GMT.
>>
>> Why Friday? Shouldn't we wait until 6.0.15 (or 6.0.15 + n) is voted
>> stable?
>
> Contrawise, why wait, and why a tag?  Usually most efforts (in order to
> preserve history) branch from trunk or branches, whereas tags/* reflect
> an endpoint (end of history).  Simply branch from 6.0.x unless there are
> dirty secrets buried in there :)
one reason we would wait, is cause there are no ongoing efforts. at
least none that are documented, and as Mark said two months ago,
"I don't see a need for a separate 6.0.x and 6.1.x development at this
point. I have yet to see a convincing technical argument that there is
something sufficiently new and/or different to justify this overhead."

we still haven't documented what this "ongoing effort would be" nor have
we agreed on it.
 From what it sounds like right now, and the technical argument and the
reason to get a trunk, would be to have more liberty adding in fixes and
patches,and then have an easier way to propose it back to be a fix in 6.0.

Filip