tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "William L. Thomson Jr." <wl...@gentoo.org>
Subject Re: Bootstrap redirecting stdout/err via system.set
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2007 17:52:56 GMT

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 18:28 +0100, jean-frederic clere wrote:
> William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
> >
> > But I believe the argument is that applications should do their own
> > stderr/out redirection and not to it external of the app. As in not via
> > bash/shell redirection and sending that to a log file. The app should be
> > doing that internally.
>
> That is what daemon is doing.

Yes but that's still Tomcat relying on jsvc or in my case
start-stop-daemon. Something EXTERNAL to Tomcat. That doesn't effect say
Tomcat out of the box when started via catalina.sh.

Again, other properties are being set in Bootstrap jar. I am
specifically asking if there is reason to not redirect stdout/stderr
there via system properties. Which would eliminate needing to do it
external of Tomcat be it shell redirection, jsvc, start-stop-daemon or
etc.

I am NOT looking for suggestions are alternatives like jsvc. I am
SPECIFICALLY asking if Tomcat Developers have considered doing the
redirection internally in Bootstrap or not. If it's been discussed, the
pros and cons. If it hasn't been discussed if it could be, and/or taken
under consideration for addition in future versions.

After thinking about it myself. I think I will likely take this approach
with most of my apps. I can surely made the mods to Bootstrap.java and
provide that via a patch on Gentoo. But I don't want to deviate from
upstream without at least discussing it first.

I am not looking to engage in a discussion of how to do this external to
tomcat via jsvc, bash/shell rediction, start-stop-daemon, or other
external means.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.
Gentoo/Java