tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: New Tomcat release? Out of the box bundle with Harmony?
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2007 10:53:10 GMT

Now Tomcat is also a cool pojo application server
----- Original Message -----
From: "Yoav Shapira" <yoavs@apache.org>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <dev@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2007 4:15 PM
Subject: Re: New Tomcat release? Out of the box bundle with Harmony?

> Hey,
>
> On Nov 8, 2007 9:10 AM, Alexey Petrenko <alexey.a.petrenko@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> I want to suggest you to create Tomcat out of the box bundle on top of
>> Harmony.
>> I've created such a bundle with the previous Harmony milestone release
>> [2]. It works but has areas for improvements... For example it's
>> possible to remove debug info from Harmony which is not needed in such
>> a bundle.
>>
>> What do you think? Is such bundle interesting for Tomcat?
>
> Personally, I want to move the Tomcat downloads in a simpler
> direction, removing options not adding them.  So I'm not in favor of
> various bundles and combinations.

I agree, bundle TC as you will, but TC always needs to be independent.
I would like to see TC more modulerized, things like clustering been an
optional add on.
Again there are bundles, but there is also a tiny downlaod that will run a
servlet.
All optional technologies should be modulerized... I think.
Then in contrast to this... needed embedded technologies should be brought
out through a TC specific API.
For example things like base64 parsing, JMX for the servlet, XMLParsing like
that in the default servlet, should be an option in a users servlet. If its
intrinsic technology, dont waste it, bring it out as well.
... I think