tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: What would you like to improve in Tomcat?
Date Sun, 21 Oct 2007 08:22:05 GMT

"Lucas Galfaso" <lgalfaso@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ddeae1ee0710210030n3dc397b5ufdb4e983ab730f26@mail.gmail.com...
> Hi all,
>  I would like to know what are the main things you would like to
> improve in Tomcat. This is a small (and clearly incomplete) of some of
> the possible things to improve:
>  - Improve JMX support.
IMHO it is already pretty good, but patches are always welcome :).

>  - Improve the admin console.
It has had no love since Amy left for GlassFish :(.  It's still using the
4.1.x model, so probably needs a rewrite before it gets my +1 to include it
in TC 6+.

>  - Have close-to-zero bugs in bugzilla.
Mostly requires time to mark as INVALID/WONTFIX for a lot of the ones out
there.  Needs someone with the time/energy to do it.

>  - Build a continuous build/test system (sorry if there is one that I
> am not aware of.)
We have Gump already
(http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/tomcat-tc6/index.html). It has already
told us that we need to require JTA for the next commons-dbcp release.

>  - Improve the documentation.
Patches are always welcome :).

>  - Implement the SIP servlet spec.
>  - Compliance to spec XXX/RFC YYY, implement spec XXX/RFC YYY
> optional part ZZZ.
>  - Improve the performance.
>  - Use Java 5 coding style throwout Tomcat.
+0 on this.  It is A Good Thing, but I don't know that I'll have time to
contribute