tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Dave Rathnow" <Dave.Rath...@umsltd.com>
Subject RE: Measuring bytes sent and received from and to Tomcat
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2007 21:40:20 GMT

We looked at using a valve but we weren't sure if it would work.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears as though valves are chained
together in a calling sequence and that some valves could change the
content of the request or response.  This means we may not get an
accurate measure of the number of total number bytes that make up the
request.

Also, the AccessLogValve has a pattern code to get the number of bytes
sent, excluding the HTTP headers, but does not have a pattern code to
get the number of bytes sent, including the HTTP headers, which is what
we really need.

Have I missed something?

Dave.

-----Original Message-----
From: yoavshapira@gmail.com [mailto:yoavshapira@gmail.com] On Behalf Of
Yoav Shapira
Sent: October 22, 2007 02:36 PM
To: Tomcat Developers List
Subject: Re: Measuring bytes sent and received from and to Tomcat

Hey,

On 10/22/07, Dave Rathnow <Dave.Rathnow@umsltd.com> wrote:
> Is there a way we can do the same thing with Tomcat?  It's simple for
> us to measure the number of byte in the payload of the HTTP
> request/response, however that isn't enough.  We need to know the
> total number of bytes being sent and received for each HTTP request.
>
> Can someone suggest a way I could get an accurate count of these
bytes?

You can probably start with the AccessLogValve that ships with Tomcat:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/valve.html

Out of the box it will get you the complete bytes in the response.
See the above docs on how to configure that.  If you want to log the
complete bytes on the request, I think you'll have to extend the Valve,
but it should be pretty easy to do.

Yoav