tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Dave Rathnow" <Dave.Rath...@umsltd.com>
Subject Measuring bytes sent and received from and to Tomcat
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2007 20:00:22 GMT

We have an application that collects data from, and sends data to,
remote embedded devices.  Traditionally we have used TCP and UDP to send
and receive data over satellite.  The latest release of our product will
be using other communication medium with our devices making HTTP request
to our application that is running under JBoss/Tomcat.

The way we bill our clients is by charging them a usage fee based on the
number of bytes being sent over the air/wire.  Because of this, we need
to have a accurate count of the number of bytes sent and received from
each site, which is uniquely identified by it's IP address.  Using
either UDP and TCP this is simple as we are in control of the end
socket.

Is there a way we can do the same thing with Tomcat?  It's simple for us
to measure the number of byte in the payload of the HTTP
request/response, however that isn't enough.  We need to know the total
number of bytes being sent and received for each HTTP request.

Can someone suggest a way I could get an accurate count of these bytes?

Thanks,
Dave.