tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat6 BUILDING.txt misunderstood?
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2007 15:07:57 GMT
Paul Shemansky wrote:
> My Fellow Code Monkeys,
>
> You may have noticed I recommended for a push to change the build to a Maven
> 2 structure.  Before starting a Mavenization discussion thread, I wanted to
> investigate the entire build process.  My first day here, I noticed that we
> are downloading DBCP source files and compiling them with the Tomcat build.
> In my humble opinion, I think it would be nice to just include a reference
> to a working version of the DBCP as a Maven dependency.
we are not only downloading the source files, we are refactoring them
before compilation as well.
we are changing the package name to org.apache.tomcat.dbcp so that
webapps that include commons-dbcp don't cause problems

> As I am still
> getting acquainted here, I have tried to refrain from rocking the boat, but,
> why do we tie ourselves to a build process of another completely separate
> and JDK-dependent project?  Tomcat and DBCP should be built separately, and
> Tomcat should probably use the pre-built, fully-tested DBCP jar file.  If I
> am missing something, please forgive and educate this poor Tomcat Newbie.
>
> I hereby re-announce my willingness to volunteer efforts towards the the
> true Mavenization of the Tomcat build.
>
> Should we take a vote on this?  As a proof-of-concept, may I start a
> Maven2-managed SVN branch somehow?

do a poll, but in a separate thread, so that people are clear on what
you are asking them.

Filip