tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: New Contributor Introduction & Initial Proposal for Contribution
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2007 19:52:05 GMT
Hi Paul, welcome!

It's good news and we always welcome new ideas and new contributions.

Let me address your building issue first, building is quite easy.

Requirements: ant, java 1.5

1. check out SVN directory
svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk

2. download deps
cd trunk
ant download

3. build
ant

The question about maven has been around, last time it was brought up
the community wasn't too keen on it, the ant is so simple and easy to
maintain. I've seen other projects always spend vast amount of times
just trying to get their maven stuff to work, we've never really had
that problem with ant. It's simply too simple to screw up :)
What I would do, is start an email thread where you poll the interest
for such contribution before you spend the time on it.

In terms of contribution, everyone pretty much works on the area of
their own interest.
A good place to start is the bug database, and submit patches to the
bugzilla database.
for example
http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?query_format=specific&order=relevance+desc&bug_status=__open__&product=Tomcat+6&content=

have fun digging around, just let us know if you need more help

Filip