tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Time to organise svn
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2007 02:47:55 GMT
Mark Thomas wrote:
> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>> Mark Thomas wrote:
>>> In light of the recent vote, we need to make some changes to svn. In
>>> short we need to add:
>>> 6.2.x
>> ?  Where is 6.1.0, or in other words, why the skip?
>
> The idea was to use even numbers for stable releases, odd numbers for
> alpha/beta. I would expect to see releases from trunk (if any) to be
> 6.3.x.

Actually, the way it typically works at httpd-space (which your new
policy is based on) is that you would next create 6.1.0 as a forever
development branch.  Committers apply each patch they believe belongs
to the 6.2.0 release, and things are removed and readded as various
votes and discussions proceed.

When the crowd is satisfied that tomcat 6.1.0 represents everything that
is part of the next general release (by a vote, obviously), it's branched
to 6.2.0 (ending the life of the 6.1.0 branch) and that API becomes the
reference for the entire lifespan of 6.2.0.  E.g. API changes all happen
in branches/6.1.0 and never happen in branches/6.2.0

Of course tomcat can choose it's own way, but it seemed like you were
skipping a step if you aimed to emulate the even's-odd's way of doing
things.