tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: Measuring bytes sent and received from and to Tomcat
Date Sat, 27 Oct 2007 07:57:08 GMT

Now Tomcat is also a cool pojo application server

David, have you looked at this...
https://tcpmon.dev.java.net/source/browse/tcpmon/

Its going to be easy... because it almost does what you want already.

It does mean that in TC you will change the connector port to say 8081
But the clients will still see 8080

ie [Client whether that be Browser or Apache] --- 8080[Billing
System]8081 ----- [TC]

So you dont mess with TC's internal stable code (what are you going to do
with the data if you do that?).... keep it outside.
Ig start writing reports to disk from TC's buffer socket.... I think you
going to kill TC's performance, so then you going to want to sneak the data
into a filter or create a special header.... oh boy!

Now... if you build your tunnel (Billing System) in a servlet....

>From your admin port say (8085) you from a browser, simple start/stop
Billing System.

As soon as that happens clients can see TC, and if the billing system is
off.... clients are off.
Then you also have a way to get data.... you can ask the Billing System...
how many bytes for Client IP xyz (its a servlet), etc.

When you business get huge with load sharing and remote offices.... the
billing system is just a servlet, so its easy.

I would keep it outside of TC.... but put it in a servlet.

If you CVS that swoftware down I think you going to find the relay socket
logic is probably 30 lines of code... it listens and forwards, cant be too
bad...

And then... if you want (unlikely) you embed your special servlet in TC, and
add some xml configuration...
My 1/2 cent worth ;)