tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r575332 - in /tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk: java/org/apache/naming/resources/FileDirContext.java webapps/docs/changelog.xml
Date Sat, 15 Sep 2007 03:08:11 GMT

"Remy Maucherat" <remm@apache.org> wrote in message
news:46E96B78.20009@apache.org...
> Peter Rossbach wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I like this FileDirContext extension. It is a very nice way to include
>> external content without symlinks!
>
> I'm not hot about it, and this seems like a a sort of superset of the
> customizable classloader (which I already didn't like much, if you're
> following my idea). In the end, it reduces portability, can cause a lot of
> hacking, and is going to have to get supported (= the capabilities and
> configuration need some thought).

Going to agree with Remy:  I don't like it.  But since it is optional, and
off by default, I can't come up with a valid reason to support a veto.  So
as long as Tim is willing to continue supporting this feature, I don't see a
problem.  Where I see a problem is if Tim gets tired of supporting this, and
leaves it to the rest of us to deal with user questions (e.g. the /admin
webapp, which was abandoned when Amy went to GlassFish).

TC in it's 3.3.x and 4.0.x days tried to support all sorts of addons, and
most of them failed (Mark is still trying to maintain CGI, and SSI, but
nobody else is).  Now, I'd prefer that TC is just the Servlet/JSP container
that it is meant to be, and not try to add on proprietary features.  But
that is just me ;).