tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r575332 - in /tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk: java/org/apache/naming/resources/FileDirContext.java webapps/docs/changelog.xml
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2007 20:41:46 GMT

On Sep 14, 2007, at 4:27 PM, Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
>> Writing a portable webapp, is doable, and essentially has nothing
>> to do with the optional feature set in Tomcat. If you want a
>> portable webapp, simply don't use the non portable features in
>> Tomcat.
>
> It's another strategy: add as many of the features that a few users
> ask for, regardless of what the specification. This is what many
> commercial appservers often do, basically. It's quite amazing you
> cannot seem to accept that I do not like this policy.

Filip agreed that if it went against the specification then
the patch had no place being committed. In fact, I think
everyone did :)

If, however, the specification is moot, then the decision
on "how much to add in response to user or developer
desire" is, I think we all agree, a personal choice...
I can certainly see your PoV where each feature is
extra code to maintain and increases the footprint
of TC. I can also see Filip and Tim's PoV that extra
features that make users/developers happy are "worth"
it.

(Jim has this funny mental image of Remy and Filip
in those Samurai Fat Suits resolving their differing
PoVs :) )