tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Review model take 2
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2007 01:36:41 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Another more precise draft.
>
> Patches which would go to review would be:
> - API changing patches (any protected or above signature change) on
> APIs which are accessible to the user either from confirguration or
> programmatically
yes, makes sense
> - any other commit for which a committer asks for the RTC procedure
> should be rollbacked if it hinders concurrent work or is to be
> included in a release tag, and go through the RTC procedure
-1. There is a huge risk for "I simply don't like it, revert it".
Anything that is to be rolled back, should be backed up by a technical
reason. So in this case, how do you define "it hinders concurrent work".
Either we do RTC or we don't, but having a vague definition in between,
doesn't make sense.

> The RTC procedure would include a STATUS file in the Tomcat svn
> listing all pending "up to review" changes. A successful vote with a
> +3 margin is required. A patch can remain under review for as long as
> the committer wishes, and it should be allowed to freely "advertise"
> and discuss the vote.
>
> The idea would be to force a consensus for commits which could have
> significant implications, and help stage technical discussions (rather
> than discussions about the validity of the disagreement). It would
> introduce a small delay for committing certain patches and a minor
> slowdown for development pace in theory, but in practice I've noticed
> conflicts waste a lot more time.
The community has always been open to technical discussions, it's the
countless vetoes without technical justifications that became the major
pain in the rear.

> This would also mean it is possible to make a change that a number of
> committers oppose (possibly, would veto) if enough committers are in
> favor of it.
I don't really see the need of doing our own version of a semi RTC,
either we do RTC on release branches and CTR on trunk.
So I'd be -1 on this, the main reason, is that the definitions are not
common nor defined within the larger ASF community, hence the vagueness
would only arise for more debates.

Filip