tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r575332 - in /tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk: java/org/apache/naming/resources/FileDirContext.java webapps/docs/changelog.xml
Date Sat, 15 Sep 2007 20:48:12 GMT
Mladen Turk wrote:
> Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
>> Mladen Turk wrote:
>>>
>>> This simply has to stop.
>>
>> taking trunk away, this turn of events is expected. I wish everyone
>> would have thought of that before we got caught up in the personal,
>> and not what is important, trunk debate.
>>

> I did, as well others did (I hope)
>
> I'll vote +1 for bringing trunk back any time when I see
> your TODO list. Sorry but without that Tomcat6 is not Tomact6
> but rather your personal (and anyone else) playground.
bummer, I guess you never saw this
http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-dev&m=118646143216543&w=2
even offered to maintain a WIKI page for this, so that anyone could add
their stuff to it.
however, as usual, this thread got pretty quickly shutdown, instead of
elaborating on what should go in, and expanding the list.
So I do think we were too caught up in the bullshit, and not focused on
the importance of trunk, not only to us, but to the geronimo project as
well.
Here is the first line in the response that very email <ironic>Here's my
opinion on these. I think most of them are not a good
idea,actually.</ironic>
Instead of providing constructive criticism, this community has become
too comfortable with just shutting ideas down.

> As a commiter you have the privilege to direct development,
> but also the responsibility to appreciate other commiters opinions.
Yes, and most of us do, but only when they are sensible. Simply writing
"-1, I don't like that", should, and probably will, always be seen as
non valid.

> For example, if I would like to commit something I might very
> well step on someone else toe just because there is no TODO
stepping on toes happens, and really, it's not that big deal. for those
of us who worked in large enterprises, the first thing you learn, is
"this code is corporate property, it does not belong to you (or your
ego:)". And I believe the ASF code base is something similar.
Tomcat has too long been operating in a hierarchical "who decides what",
and I believe it to be so long that people got used to it. But just
cause it used to be that way, or we got used to it, doesn't justify it,
nor does it mean that it is right and can't be changed.

I think some long needed changes are around the corner. It is up to us
to shape those changes rationally.

Filip