tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r575332 - in /tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk: java/org/apache/naming/resources/FileDirContext.java webapps/docs/changelog.xml
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2007 21:01:44 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Filip agreed that if it went against the specification then
> the patch had no place being committed. In fact, I think
> everyone did :)
>
> If, however, the specification is moot, then the decision
> on "how much to add in response to user or developer
> desire" is, I think we all agree, a personal choice...
> I can certainly see your PoV where each feature is
> extra code to maintain and increases the footprint
> of TC. I can also see Filip and Tim's PoV that extra
> features that make users/developers happy are "worth"
> it.

This adds ways to work around the specification. The reason for which
most people used Tomcat in the first place, as I said, was "it was a
component of the RI, which meant not too many spec breaking features,
and that an app that ran on Tomcat was likely to run on the production
server (which was rarely Tomcat)". Do you have evidence which shows
otherwise ?

> (Jim has this funny mental image of Remy and Filip
> in those Samurai Fat Suits resolving their differing
> PoVs :) )

Hmm, I don't think so :|

Rémy