tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r575332 - in /tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk: java/org/apache/naming/resources/FileDirContext.java webapps/docs/changelog.xml
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2007 19:30:23 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:
> I'm not sure the security discussion is that simple, this seems quite a
> dangerous change.
> Currently  the user is restricted  to the webapps/ directory ( well,  he can
> add a context
> with the base in /etc and expose passwd I guess - but hopefully if a deploy
> tool is used
> or some automation is done on adding webapps, it can be controlled ). At
> least this
> introduces one more risk.

what does httpd do when you do set up an alias or document root for the
/etc directory?
Since it does, would that mean that httpd should not include the Alias
feature?
This is the same scenario, adding a useful feature, though it can go
wrong when when misconfigured, doesn't mean we shouldn't do it.
Tomcat already would allow you do to docBase=/etc"
so the risk already exists, and no, the user is not restricted to the
webapps directory.

> It may also have some implications on other use cases - deployment ( the
> current pattern
> is that all files for a webapp are in one place ), replication ( i.e. if
> someone wants same webapps
> on a pool of servers ).
>
> Also questions about servlet API - are the aliases considered as part of the
> webapp and returned
> as resources ? Portability ? Will anything break or be confusing ?

This is important, it shouldn't break anything from spec compliant, but
that goes with every single feature we put in Tomcat.
If it does break the spec, then a -1 is justified in a heartbeat.
> But the most important question I have - why at this level ? If you have
> files in a different
>  directory - just add a servlet that is configured to serve files from
> there, doesn't have to
> be a tomcat-specific feature.

Back to the httpd analogy, that would be equivalent of saying, remove
the Alias feature, and write a perl/php/asp script that does this for you
I find the feature useful, and if it doesn't go against the spec, I've
seen the feature requested on tomcat-user as well.
Filip