tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r575332 - in /tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk: java/org/apache/naming/resources/FileDirContext.java webapps/docs/changelog.xml
Date Thu, 13 Sep 2007 20:13:03 GMT
Tim Funk wrote:
> D'oh.
>
> I was tempted to post a patch first and discuss, but since it was only a
> setZZZ addition and the functionality is exactly the same when the
> parameter is NOT set - I thought this could go CTR. In light of the
> recent CTR/RTC discussions - we are still CTR until the vote passes.
> Likewise - while this is an API change - I guess my expectation on API
> change was anything that breaks backwards compatibility. (method
> signature changes) Unless someone subclassed FileDirContext and used the
> method names in the patch - then no one (user community) would notice.
>
> When I first wrote this, my first pass was to subclass it where I could
> just call files() but that didn't work due since I still had to change
> other methods. I'd have to do a more comprehensive change (more risky
> IMO) to FileDirContext before I'd be able subclass it effectively.
>
> The real use case is where you have uploaded files, or just a bunch of
> other files sitting in a different location on disk. You need to make
> them look as part of the current webapp while not having to rely on
> symlinks. So the feature is "similar" to the Alias directive in apache.
>
> Since you -1 - I'd like to have a technical reason on why to back the
> patch out. Then I'd be glad to do so or make the appropriate changes. If
> the reason is - I think its bloat - I'm not sure how to resolve this issue.

The reasons are:
This sort of features reduces portability (= must be included with
caution), can cause a lot of hacking (generally not good), and is going
to have to get supported (= the capabilities and configuration need some
review). None of these are very serious, but it adds up.

It's not a real veto anyway, but no proper review mechanism exists at
the moment, and it's hard to integrate feature additions in 6.0.x
without prior discussion.

Rémy