tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Make released versions RTC
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2007 20:38:58 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:
> How about:
>
>    o CTR on trunk
>
>    o Various release branches are made (ala httpd, apr, etc...).
>      These include a STATUS file.
>
>    o All code applied to the release branch is under
>      lazy consensus but *must* be specified in STATUS.
>      (eg: "I plan on applying rev786987 in 3 days under
>      lazy consensus").
>
> Not as stringent as RTC, but also provides a good level
> of oversight with a minimum of overhead... RTC can be
> maintained for older, stable releases.
this is pretty much how tomcat development has worked, but with less
obstacles to go around, ie the status file. instead folks applied the
patch, updated the changelog and if anyone vetoed or objected, we'd
revise it or pull it out.
We're pretty good about patches to release branches. I think all the -1
in this voting thread are based on that, please correct me if I am wrong.

And as for CTR on trunk, that used to be the case, but we no longer have
a trunk for reasons still unclear to me, other than personal.

Filip