tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Make released versions RTC
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2007 02:42:49 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Jim Jagielski wrote:

>>> Ouch, that must smell.

>>> Right, so I guess my own stuff in the sandbox was not even
>>> considered, since the sandbox is sooo not nice enough for your great
>>> work :( The right way to do things is to reach a rather precise
>>> agreement before doing things, and the sandbox is the right place
>>> for that.
>>>

>> In httpd and apr-land, sandboxes are mostly single-developer places,
>> where
>> the rest of the team can see what's going on and review
>> stuff. trunk is the place where more communal development is done
>> and where that kind of agreement process is reached.
>
> Yes, it's exactly what I was saying. Trunk is currently based on
> Filip's ideas, and as a result it should be moved to the sandbox
> (which is somehow characterized as "trowing everything away"; since I
> was working on my own stuff in the sandbox, I cannot help but conclude
> that my own development was trash, and I was unfortunately right to
> move it away :( ).
you start to sound like you believe yourself by this point.
After my vacation, I'll pull out the emails you wrote, where, even
though it was a veto, you clearly specified to leave it in.
I will also pull out the email, where I offered to elaborate more, and
you pretty much declined.
Then I will pull out the email where I offered to pull out the much
debated Comet implementation, so that trunk can move forward.
And if you wish, I can pull out even more examples. Just let me know how
much time and proof it needs to take before your willing to re-evaluate
your accusatory statements.

> In a regular branch like trunk, I expect collaboration, discussion and
> announcements of upcoming changes, etc, which did not happen.
you're having a control issue, and your manifesting it by wanting to get
rid of trunk, even though several people have politely and respectfully
asked for it to remain. Mainly the Geronimo folks who would want it in
their distribution. Getting rid of trunk, simply means that Geronimo has
one more obstacle to get around, sounds like it would benefit someone
else, doesn't it?....

Besides annotations and comet, the changes in trunk are of a bug
fix/feature improvement type, and discussing every minor detail would be
equivalent to RTC. Currently we are using CTR, hence you get the option
to review anything that has been done.

I've never ignored your emails, nor have I not answered anytime you
asked for an explanation. Take the virtual loader for example, huge
improvements to a component that wasn't really working, but was included
in the main distribution. Simply because you "didn't like it" was your
explanation, doesn't make it immensely useful for very large
installation of Tomcat.

I'll be back next week for more community fun, Tomcat has always put the
"fun" back into dys*fun*ctional :), it's an honor to participate
Filip