tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Make released versions RTC
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2007 00:28:33 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Jim Jagielski wrote:
>> I'm +1 for this type of procedure, but I don't see how
>> this can be shoehorned into the current setup and layout
>> of TC.
>>
>> The basic ideas behind httpd and apr are:
>>
>>   o There is a set development location (currently trunk)
>>     which operates under CTR.
>>
>>   o There is a set release branch location which only
>>     operates on RTC. All code patches must first be
>>     applied on the development location and then be
>>     proposed for backport and obtain 3 (or more) +1
>>     votes.
>>
>> The premise is that there is a codebase which is CTR
>> and thus very free and easy, but it is never directly in
>> a "to be released" path. All code that is destined for
>> actual release must be applied to the stable/release
>> branch via a RTC method.
>
> Yes, that is pretty much the plan. Also, by forcing some level of
> agreement before a commit, this removes the potential for clashes and
> flames due to unannounced changes :)
yes, it is also easily abused by folks who throw around vetoes as often
as I change underwear. I don't see a need to slow down development even
further, at this point if the previous vote is considered valid, we
don't even have a development branch, and a few months of work got
thrown out the window

Filip