tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r571578 - in /tomcat/trunk/java/org/apache: catalina/CometEvent.java catalina/connector/CometEventImpl.java catalina/connector/Request.java coyote/http11/Http11NioProcessor.java tomcat/util/net/PollerInterest.java
Date Sat, 01 Sep 2007 07:20:41 GMT
Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>> fhanik@apache.org wrote:
>>> Author: fhanik
>>> Date: Fri Aug 31 13:59:00 2007
>>> New Revision: 571578

>>> Log:
>>> Move back to original idea, use primitive int instead of enum,
>>> extremely inefficient using enums and arrays to hold them.
>>
>> Good. Two of the biggest gropes I had in this portion of the API and
>> impl are now gone (after arguing they were great ideas, and ignoring
>> my complaints about them for months :( ).
> pardon me, I always wanted the int, you were arguing the enums, so I
> compromised. then I realized how bad it was, so I took it out.

I vetoed these API changes almost immediately, and, despite starting
with similar calls, my own proposal never included these new enums (it
used boolean flags), or any of the related complexity. Seriously :(

My position has been fairly consistent so far: significant and possibly
controversial changes like API changes should be discussed and agreed
upon *in full details* before hitting the commit button. This applies
especially to you, since it's about as impossible as it gets to have you
modify anything afterwards :(

>> How about adopting my interface ? It's clearly the next step in the
>> evolution.
> don't like that interface, but a simple vote will resolve the dispute.
>>
>> The main problem continues, though: API changes are being made without
>> being discussed in any way beforehand. I think this needs to stop, and
>> I will restart the vote for moving this branch to the sandbox.
> you slandered several people in the last vote thread without really
> answering any of their questions, don't see the point of another one
> vote, since you bowed out of the real questions in the last one.
> The vote should be, and should have always been, about the API.

I do not wish to vote on APIs at this time, esp since they are getting
more and more similar, and other committers interest is pretty low.

Rémy