tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Send trunk to the sandbox
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2007 15:43:00 GMT

On Aug 22, 2007, at 8:06 AM, funkman@joedog.org wrote:

>> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>> Yeah right. So to summarize, we have 3 committers who are happy
>> campers
>> (2 of them which don't contribute much, as far as I know), and the
>> rest
>> of the committers are either do not care or are unhappy. Most also
>> want
>> a change in the development process, and as long as there's
>> agreement on
>> that and it respects the ASF principles, we should be able to do
>> that.
>>

> Bah. In neither angry nor happy.
>
> My impression was trunk was going to be wacky new stuff which broke
> existing api's and configurations with 6.0. Much like 5.0 --> 5.5.
>
> In reality that didn't happen - we just got some comet changes.
> (I'm not
> saying this is good or bad - it's just and observation)

While it's more fun to watch from the sidelines, I'm afraid I'll have
to get involved here to point out that you are wrong about this.
trunk contains an entirely new and incompatible with 6.0.x annotation
processing framework which is in use in the Geronimo integration.
Remy suggested and I agreed that it would not be appropriate for an
api change of this magnitude to go in a 6.0.x revision.  While Remy
was certainly the committer most involved in applying these changes,
IIRC there was some support from at least one other committer.  In
Geronimo we are anxiously awaiting an official tomcat release with
these agreed upon api changes, so we tend to view the proposal
eliminate trunk with  some concern.

thanks
david jencks