tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Len Popp" <len.p...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Juli/Logging
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2007 01:33:21 GMT
On 7/31/07, Rainer Jung <rainer.jung@kippdata.de> wrote:
> My personal opinion: java.util.logging very much lacks a good formatter.
> The default 2 line formatting of messages, splitting timestamps and
> message in separate lines, is not really useful in production. Many ad
> hoc log analysis practices work on a line oriented basis.

How would exception stack traces be handled? That's an important
consideration because a stack trace is the first thing people ask for
when someone has a problem. :-)
I like the idea of one line per entry, but stack traces don't seem to
fit into that format. If you collapse a stack trace onto one line,
it's a lot harder to read. If you keep the multi-line format for stack
traces, you keep the same problem with log analysis practices that
work on a line oriented basis.
--
Len