tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r565464 - in /tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk/java/org/apache: catalina/connector/ catalina/startup/ coyote/ajp/ coyote/http11/ tomcat/util/ tomcat/util/digester/
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2007 17:36:46 GMT
Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
> you've been used to getting your way, all the time, you have a very hard
> to functioning when you don't get your way, you throw tantrums, threats
> and all kinds of accusations around you instead of working towards a
> resolution.
> This isn't a one-man show, never has been. It's give an take. I think a
> lot of people, including me, have disagreed with things you've done,
> specially the way you abuse users providing feedback on bugzilla, but we
> all go along for the sake of the project and the community.

Right, I'm evil, I know it by now. Since you, thankfully, are not evil,
I would need to qualify how development works on the following components:
- clustering functionality
- HTTP NIO connector
- and now, Comet functionality in trunk
If these aren't a one man show ... You're never participating in other
components, where there's actual collaboration. In clustering, there
used one other contributor, but you managed to scare off the only other
contributor with constant refactorings.

About BZ, which is a legitimate claim, I find reports of many people to
simply be irritating. The feeling grows with time, and it's been a long
time. As a result, I am not patient at all. To avoid the problem, I am
now not often commenting in BZ anymore, which works reasonably well.

About the Comet functionality evolution, I evidently agreed on a number
of features, which I thought you had understood (it turned out to not be
so accurate). I never agreed to specific APIs, and I never said I
wouldn't refine my ideas. Starting with a fully explicit and detailed
API is cool, but then I did start looking at usage, improving it, and
removing cruft. It's an iterative improvement process.

The rest of the email does not make much sense to me. I think if you
believe I am bad for the community, you should not waste more time, and
call for a PMC vote to remove my commit privileges. It's been done
before in other projects in similar situations.

Rémy