tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r565464 - in /tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk/java/org/apache: catalina/connector/ catalina/startup/ coyote/ajp/ coyote/http11/ tomcat/util/ tomcat/util/digester/
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2007 14:13:16 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
>> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>>>
>>> While I initiated the creation of the trunk branch, I can no longer
>>> work with Filip since I disagree with him on API design, and I don't
>>> like his ideas on collaboration. As a result, I do not wish to
>>> participate in trunk development, and I have to do my development
>>> activities elsewhere :(
>> it's community development, you can participate or not. That's your
>> call.
>> You've threatened to start other branches elsewhere, you've
>> threatened to leave, you can keep threatening, if the community is
>> strong enough it will survive. If it is not, then it will fall, just
>> like Rome did.
>
> No, trunk is Filip's development, and that's it.
I don't see how that is, you created it, you even agreed to most of the
initial Comet interface changes, even before trunk was created.
After that, you through in a bunch of vetoes based on your personal
preference of an API, even though you already agreed. I would say, those
vetoes were noted, but invalid, they didn't have a technical
explanations. Vetoes are a pretty serious thing, but you throw 'em out
often without an explanation.
After that you withdrew your proposal, and withdrew your vetoes as well.
So at that point, trunk would be official.
> I've been working elsewhere since I had no other choice, and I regret
> there is no way to collaborate. ASF projects cannot go anywhere if two
> parties are in constant opposition, so basically one of us needs to go
> away for the project to move forward.
you've been used to getting your way, all the time, you have a very hard
to functioning when you don't get your way, you throw tantrums, threats
and all kinds of accusations around you instead of working towards a
resolution.
This isn't a one-man show, never has been. It's give an take. I think a
lot of people, including me, have disagreed with things you've done,
specially the way you abuse users providing feedback on bugzilla, but we
all go along for the sake of the project and the community.

>>>  I now think removing the trunk branch or moving it to the sandbox
>>> would be best.
>> I'm gonna propose for trunk to stay, we specifically made that cause
>> you decided changes the Geronimo team needed were not appropriate.
>> And there are other changes that have gone in there since then.
>
> Maybe switching to a tigher patch inclusion process like what is done
> in httpd, and reboot trunk, could be a solution. As you may have
> noticed, I disagreed with all your Comet related commits, and you
> never cared in any way. This would have avoided the initial divide.
I was more than willing to continue the discussion around the API, but
you ignored that and you jumped the gun and started another sandbox
project instead. That was your call again.

Filip