tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r565464 - in /tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk/java/org/apache: catalina/connector/ catalina/startup/ coyote/ajp/ coyote/http11/ tomcat/util/ tomcat/util/digester/
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2007 14:00:38 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Bill Barker wrote:
>> Tomcat has <strong>never</strong> made any promise that the core API

>> won't change between versions.  If you depend on the Tomcat API at
>> any version level, then you are required to review at the next level.
>
> There should be no backwards incompatible changes in my change. The
> only method signature which does change is in IntroUtils, to return a
> boolean. It is possible to add a setProperty2 method and revert
> setProperty to what it was.
>
> -    public static void setProperty(Object o, String name, String
> value) {
> +    public static boolean setProperty(Object o, String name, String
> value) {
>
> The digester (if there was use of it despite the package renaming)
> should default to the old behavior.
as you might have noticed, but I didn't veto the change either. but the
fact that 6.0.14 has a pretty serious bug in the Comet related code,
that after a comet request has ended also breaks regular HTTP requests,
would call for another release fairly shortly, large changes like this,
do have a tendency to delay such releases, as we now need a lot more
testing and feedback to vote it stable

Filip