tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: 6.x feature wishlist
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2007 15:22:40 GMT
Santosh [ಸಂತೋಷ ] wrote:
> If any help required in these, please let me know. I am ready to contribute.
>
> On 8/7/07, Santosh [ಸಂತೋಷ ] <santoshbmath@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 1. Few more properties in "logging.properties" to LogHandler other than
>> directory, prefix, suffix, level, filter, formatter. Like,
>>       prefix for level, suffix for level, level display (For Ex : Instead
>> of INFO, it must be possible to display "I"), timestamp display format
>>
>> Example.
>> levelprefix = [
>> levelsuffix = ]
>> leveldisplay = INFO:I, ERROR:E
>> timestamp = dd-mm-yyyy hh:mm:ss
>>
>> This will help to reduce the log file size.
>>
>> 2. Admin webapp since its not ported on tomcat 6.

If you want to make this one work, I would start from scratch.
There is no reason why the admin tool, whose only goal is to modify
server.xml has to interact or introspect a running tomcat instance.
Instead, what would be nice, is if the configuration reference contained
enough information and in an appropriate format that the admin
tool would introspect that XML and use the info as a base for the admin
tool.
since the configuration reference documentation could contain data type,
valid values, name and description, it would be the ideal data source to
fetch info for.

just a thought, however, the existing admin app, suffers from the
chicken or the egg problem, I need a running tomcat to configure a tomcat :)

Filip