tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Juli/Logging
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2007 20:21:09 GMT
So another topic,

There's a thread going on in OpenEJB at the moment about possibly
switching away from log4j for the reason that the logging config gets
easily messed up in embedded environments (maven, specificaly) and of
course to have one less dependency -- the 3.0 server is a bit beefier
than the 1.0.

I remembered not seeing log4j or commons logging in Tomcat 6 and
started investigating -- how I discovered the inlining.  Seems juli
is a trimmed down version of commons-logging (attractive), but it
isn't obvious what's driving the actual logging.  Didn't see any
inlined log4j classes.  Are you using java.util.Logging or something
else?

Also noticed the javadoc of juli says it allows for per-classloader
configuration of logging.  What exactly does that mean?

Thanks!

-David